Serving Children, Teens
Dr. Evrigenis believes everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy orthodontic care and a stunning straight smile.
At Evrigenis Orthodontics, we’re proud to offer a full range of orthodontics for children, teens, and adults at our office in Sacramento.
At Evrigenis Orthodontics, you can find the latest fixed and removable orthodontic appliances to choose from for you and your family, including:
- Metal braces
- Gold braces
Orthodontics for Children
Dr. Evrigenis knows that having a great smile is the result of constant care and nurture that starts at a very young age.
As parents, you’d do anything to make sure that your child has a healthy, strong set of teeth.
Early visits to an orthodontist can help us track and guide teeth movement, jaw growth, and facial features. That’s why the ADA recommends that children start seeing a board-certified orthodontist by the age of seven.
When Do Children Require Phase 1 Orthodontics?
Children would typically require Phase 1 Orthodontics when they have:
- Crooked, crowded, or gapped teeth
- Teeth that are protruded
- Difficulty chewing or bitting
- Developed habits, such as thumb sucking, that could potentially affect their dental development
- Trouble pronouncing words or sounds
- Experienced breathing problems
- Disproportioned jaws
- Baby teeth that are obstructing their upcoming adult teeth
Early treatment with Dr. Evrigenis can help improve any of the above conditions. Treating these issues in childhood may also prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing. Early intervention at our offices in Sacramento can also make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
What Is Orthodontics for Children?
Orthodontics for children — sometimes referred to as Phase 1 or early intervention orthodontic care — is a type of dental treatment recommended for kids who still have some of their baby teeth before all of their permanent teeth have erupted. We may think that misaligned baby teeth could pose no threat to the child's dental health, which is sadly a misconception that many tend to think.
Your child's baby teeth have a significant role to play in their ability to eat, speak, and even breathe comfortably. Guiding the growth and development of these baby teeth helps clear the path for permanent teeth, which also helps your child to carry out proper functions of the mouth.
Orthodontics for children aims to address these issues at an early stage. Without proper care and attention to baby teeth, any dental or orthodontic issues your child has may require longer treatment to correct when they’re older.
Orthodontics for Teens
For teens around the Sacramento area, adolescence is the most common time for orthodontic treatment. Experience orthodontists like Dr. Evrigenis can early recognize issues with spacing, crowding, bite, and alignment in patients between the ages of 11 – 16, when your teen’s bone and jaw structure are formed enough to allow orthodontic treatment to begin.
At Evrigenis Orthodontics, your teen can choose between Invisalign clear aligners, metal braces, or Iconix gold braces. Each of these choices offers unique benefits while transforming your teen’s smile.
What Is Orthodontics for Teens?
During this phase of treatment—sometimes referred to as phase 2 orthodontics—braces and specialized retainers are used for improving the aesthetics, functionality, and stability of the teeth.
This phase begins after the eruption of all permanent teeth, which might require braces on all the teeth for a few months. The duration of the treatment will depend on the severity of the dental issue.
At the completion of your teen’s orthodontic treatment, Dr. Evrigenis will recommend wearing retainers to ensure your teen retains their beautiful smile.
How to Know If Your Teen Needs Orthodontic Treament
Signs indicating your adolescent or teen may be a good candidate for Phase 2 Orthodontics include:
- Losing baby teeth early or before the age of 5
- Problems with biting or chewing
- Thumb-sucking after age 5
- Teeth that are misaligned or don’t fit together
- Teeth beginning to crowd around age 7 or 8
- Protruding upper or lower teeth
What Are the Advantages of Orthodontic Treatment for Teens?
The advantages of Phase 2 treatment on your teen’s teeth including:
- Ensuring teeth are in their proper places
- Providing maximum functionality
- Having a healthy bite for life
- Enjoying a healthy, beautiful smile
Our team at Evrigenis Orthodontics is dedicated to monitoring the growth and development of your teen’s teeth so that they get the right treatment at the right time.
Orthodontics for Adults
At Evrigenis Orthodontics, age is never a barrier to getting a healthy, beautiful smile. Dr. Evrigenis and our team of experts will provide a customized treatment to improve your oral health and help you reach your smile goals.
What Types of Orthodontic Issues Do Adults Typically Face?
As an adult, the different types of orthodontic problems you might face include:
- Overbite, underbite, or open bite
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Excessive spacing or gaps between teeth
How Does Adult Orthodontics Differ From Treatment for Children and Teens?
The biological process of orthodontic treatment is the same for all ages. Teeth will start moving to the desired position as a result of gentle forces being placed on them over time.
Many orthodontic problems can be easily corrected for adults, just as for children and teens.
The only major difference is, as an adult, you’re no longer growing. Because of this maturity and bone density, treatment may take a bit longer for you than it would for children and teens with a similar problem.
The medications you consume and routine habits like smoking, teeth grinding, tongue thrusting, etc., can also affect the treatment outcome.
What Can Orthodontics Do for You?
Braces not only straighten your teeth, but they can also help to improve your oral health. Here are three ways that braces can help to improve your smile:
- Straight teeth can reduce the risk of tooth decay. When you bite and chew on crooked teeth, you are much more likely to get a cavity. This is because the crooked surfaces of your teeth are not very easy to clean, so bacteria can build up more easily, leading to tooth decay.
- Straight teeth can improve your bite. If your bite is misaligned, it can lead to headaches and jaw pain. An improper bite can also cause your teeth to wear down unevenly and can lead to problems with your jaw joints.
- Straight teeth can improve your smile. With straight teeth, you can smile with confidence. Go ahead and show off that beautiful smile of yours!
How Should You Take Care of Your Teeth
To ensure your treatment is as effective, quick, and comfortable as possible, you should:
- Listen to the instructions provided by your orthodontist on brushing and flossing
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned at least every six months or more often if recommended
- Avoid hard, sticky, crunch foods and opt instead for soft, easy-to-chew foods.
- Opt for tap water instead of sugary, acidic soft drinks, fruit juices, fruit drinks, and sports drinks
- Visit your orthodontist on scheduled appointments
What Happens at Your Initial Consultation?
During your initial consultation appointment at our Sacramento offices, you can explain to us the concerns you have about your teeth and smile.
Dr. Evrigenis will then examine your teeth and other oral issues by using a panoramic x-ray to check your bone levels. After a thorough examination, we’ll discuss the right treatment option for you, as well as any fees and available payment plans.
Start With a Free Consultation
Start your journey towards a healthy new smile today and schedule your free consultation with our expert and friendly orthodontist, Dr. Evrigenis.
Visit one of our Sacramento offices, and our team at Evrigenis Orthodontics will talk about your options and develop an orthodontic treatment plan designed just for your needs and smile goals.